Many people struggle with chronic pain conditions and other health issues that can cause them to experience pain and discomfort on a regular basis. It can be very unpleasant to live this way, but medical treatments can offer assistance, and recent discoveries have found that naturally-sourced ingredients like CBD (cannabidiol) can alleviate sensations of pain as well, proving highly effective and increasing the quality of life for those with chronic pain problems.
What Is CBD?
CBD stands for cannabidiol. This is a naturally occurring chemical compound, known as a cannabinoid, which can be sourced from different cannabis strains and cannabis sativa plants like industrial hemp. It’s one of many cannabinoids, with THC being another example, but unlike THC, CBD doesn’t have strong psychoactive properties and so won’t make anyone feel ‘high’.
It doesn’t offer any other major effects either, so it is widely considered to be a safe product to use and is legal at a federal level. In terms of how it works, scientists are still carrying out studies to find out more, but they believe that CBD is able to interact with the endocannabinoid system (ECS) inside the human body.
The ECS is a very complex system that is associated with a lot of different bodily processes and sensations. It can influence our mood, our hunger levels, and our feelings of pain and discomfort too. CBD can influence the ECS to trigger a range of positive effects for people, including pain relief.
How CBD Works for Chronic Pain
Many studies and forms of research have looked at the effects that CBD can have on humans and animals, with very positive results. CBD has been found to help lower anxiety and even offer protection to the brain, and its pain-relieving properties are particularly potent.
Studies on animals have shown that CBD can help to lower sensations of pain when applied directly to the skin or when taken orally. It can assist with neuropathic, inflammatory, and muscle pain of all kinds, and it’s clear to see that additional studies are necessary to find out more, but there’s already a lot of evidence to show that CBD can help people feel less pain.
Potential Benefits of CBD in Pain Management
Here are just some of the many possible benefits that can be experienced when using CBD for pain management:
- For Chronic Pain – As explained above, researchers believe that CBD is able to interact with the ECS in order to alleviate pain. This makes it a very effective supplemental treatment for those with chronic pain conditions like fibromyalgia, MS, and back pain. A 2018 review looked at a range of studies on the matter, concluding that CBD was helpful with pain management and led to no unwanted side effects.
- For Arthritis – Arthritis is a common condition affecting a large percentage of elderly people. It causes inflammation of the joints, leading to a lack of mobility and regular pain in parts of the body like the knees, hips, shoulders, and neck. A 2016 study on rats with arthritis showed that rats that were given CBD experienced reduced inflammation and lower levels of pain.
- For Cancer – Cancer, too, can be a very painful condition. It isn’t always painful on its own, but the treatments used to treat cancer can cause a lot of pain and discomfort in patients. Again, studies show that CBD can be of assistance here. A 2010 study in which cancer patients were given a CBD oral spray in combination with opioids found that the patients experienced greater pain relief than those who were simply given opioids.
- For Headaches and Migraines – Many people struggle with recurring headaches and painful migraines too. There aren’t as many studies on this particular form of pain in relation to CBD, but one 2017 study explored and demonstrated how a combination of cannabinoids like CBD and THC could help to reduce the pain of migraines and the frequency of migraine attacks in general.
- Minimal Side Effects – One of the main reasons why CBD is a growing force in the field of alternative medicine for pain management is the fact that it has minimal chances of side effects, and the effects themselves are also very minor. Studies have shown that CBD poses no serious threat or risk to users. The only possible recorded side effects include fatigue, diarrhea, and an increase in appetite.
It’s clear to see that CBD can be a very effective force in the fight against chronic pains, aches, and sensations of discomfort, potentially offering life-changing assistance for people with a wide range of medical issues, from cancer and arthritis to MS and back pain.
This naturally occurring cannabinoid has been proven to be highly effective and is deemed to be very safe to use, with only minimal side effects. However, it’s worth noting that CBD can interact with other medications and supplements, so it’s always recommended to consult with a doctor before taking it.
It’s also important to note that dosages are not officially regulated when it comes to CBD as of the moment, so this is another reason to consult with a medical professional and make sure you’re taking the right amount to get the desired effects.
Overall, while further study is needed to discover more, CBD oils and products can demonstrably help those who are experiencing chronic pain and can be recommended in many medical situations.