6th-grade Maths is a completely different subject from what you’ve studied in the past. At first, glance, as you pick up the textbooks and begin to go through them, it becomes apparent that this class’s syllabus is vastly different from the last. You may have stumbled upon some brand new concepts. At this point, it’s important to know that you’ve entered a new phase of your academic life. The things you’ll be studying now will be new to you, but they’ll also be incredibly crucial for future classes that you’ll be taking.
Most of the time, due to a lack of understanding of the subject, a student might instil fear in their minds and make themselves believe that mathematics is a tough subject. A student must always remember that Mathematics is the foundation of learning. And if they don’t concentrate properly from the earliest, it can create a lot of problems in the subject in further classes.
While preparing for Maths, you should be well-versed with the chapters. Although, there is no particular blueprint given in Class 6. But if you find out the important chapters, you can focus more on them in order to get good marks. To start with, let’s understand the syllabus of CBSE Class 6 Maths:
· knowing Our Numbers
· whole Numbers
· playing With Numbers
· basic Geometrical Ideas
· understanding Elementary Shapes
· data Handling
· ratio And Proportion
· practical Geometry
Now, you might be wondering what are the chapters that you should focus on more to score well in exams. Well, you score well by studying all the chapters thoroughly. As these chapters are just at the basic level, they will be interesting and fun to learn.
Chapters like Knowing Our Numbers, Whole Numbers, Symmetry, Data Handling, Practical geometry are some really easy and fascinating chapters that will help you to get full marks undoubtedly. And the rest of the chapters like Integers, Decimals, fractions, Algebra, etc, which are new to you are also scoring chapters. All you need to do is to imbibe the concepts comprehensively. To make it easier for you, below listed are the chapters with their important topic and concepts that they entail:
· KNOWING OUR NUMBERS- This chapter introduces the students to the array of infinite numbers. This chapter includes the concept of various complex numbers such as thousands or billions. They are taught the Indian system of counting as well as the International system. Additionally, this chapter covers complex numbers, estimation sum, and the difference between two numbers, among other topics.
· WHOLE NUMBERS- In this chapter, you will learn the whole numbers and their concepts and properties in detail. You will learn about the properties of whole numbers, the patterns in a series of whole numbers, and much more. You will learn important terms like “predecessor” and “successor” and the concept behind them.
· PLAYING WITH NUMBERS- This chapter discusses the concepts of prime and composite numbers, factorization, HCF, and LCM. You will get introduced to other important concepts, such as divisibility of numbers and prime factorization.
· BASIC GEOMETRICAL IDEAS- The purpose of this chapter is to familiarize students with basic geometry. Topics such as ray and curves, polygons, parallel lines, triangles, and circles are discussed. In this course, students will learn the fundamentals of prospective geometrical problems.
· UNDERSTANDING ELEMENTARY SHAPES- Here, students are introduced to various mathematical designs and shapes. Line segments, right angles, acute angles, obtuse angles, and reflex angles, perpendicular angles, and polygons are some of the important topics covered in this chapter.
· INTEGERS- This chapter takes you along to the world that stays on the left side on the number line. Comparing and ordering Integers, the addition of integers, and subtraction of integers are some topics that you will learn in this chapter.
· FRACTIONS- This chapter unfolds the numbers in fractions. Fractions on Number line, Proper fractions and improper fractions, equivalent fractions, like fractions and unlike fractions, adding or subtracting like fractions, are some concepts you will learn in this chapter.
· DECIMALS- This chapter introduces the point between numbers. This point is called decimal. While studying this chapter, you will learn about the importance of decimal numbers. Decimals in tenths, hundredths, etc. are introduced as you keep moving forward in the chapter.
· DATA HANDLING- In this chapter, you’ll learn about a variety of graphical operations. During the course, students are introduced to the concepts of drawing and organizing graphical data. In this chapter, students learn how to calculate values using different types of graphs like pictographs.
· MENSURATION- Calculating various designs and figures using their area and volume is part of this chapter. Students learn about topics such as the area of a rectangle and measuring the perimeter in this chapter.
· ALGEBRA- Class 6 introduces the students to a new topic called ‘Algebra’. This chapter teaches the students the algebra concepts such as determining the value of an unknown quantity using known variables or evaluating the relationship between unknown variables using given variables.
· RATIO AND PROPORTION- Now that students are familiar with fractions, they are taken a higher level of ratio and proportion. Initially, they are taught the concepts of both ratio and proportion separately, then they combine them to teach the relationship between ratio and proportion.
· SYMMETRY- This chapter expands on students’ knowledge of geometric shapes to introduce them to the idea of symmetry. They are taught multiple lines of symmetry, symmetry, and reflection, etc.
· PRACTICAL GEOMETRY- All of the principles of drawing various geometrical shapes are covered in Practical Geometry. In this chapter, you will focus on various geometrical tools and their applications. In this chapter, students will learn how to construct an angle, a bisector, and a line segment by following a step-by-step approach.
If you are seeking to score high scores in Class 6 Maths, then you should stick to NCERT books as they are more than enough for you to score well. Keep your concepts clear as these chapters are going to be extremely beneficial for higher classes.