You may have ever wondered, “ How tall is a two story house?”. And why is it “story” but not “storey”? Then the two answers quite relate to each other.
A story or storey both refers to the number of floors of a building. However, the way you use “story” or “storey” depends on the type of English you use. The “story” is utilized in the standard spelling of American English, while “storey” is utilized in all varieties of English. These differences partly show how people view and number the building.
In fact, it will be quite confusing for you to find the actual height of a two-story house. You also have to do a lot of research to get a clear idea. Then, why don’t you follow our article below to figure out your most accurate estimate.
Which Factors Influence The Height Of A Residential Building?
Nowadays, many factors impact a house’s height. Here are some primary factors contributing to the question: “ How tall is a two story house?”
- The ceiling height of the first floor: Several add on the ceiling of the 1st floor is crucial as it ensures the house’s strength. Builders often make each floors’ the ceilings above it the foot shorter in comparison with the first floor.
- The smart systems installed in the house: Modern houses are usually installed full optioned, including energy-saving systems, heating, cooling, and insulation systems. These systems have proper impacts on the height of a house.
- Roof style: Different kinds of roofs affect the height of a house differently. For example, the height of a flat roof is not noticeable to the total height of a house, while the steep roof adds on a remarkable rise in the height of a two-story house.
- Laws and cultural customs: These vary from region to region. In mountainous areas, houses are usually built much shorter than those in flat countries. Factors such as regions and law land can also affect a two-story height.
- Ventilation: As higher ceilings allow more space for larger windows and air egress points, ventilation is a determining factor influencing a house’s height.
These factors have partly answered the question, “ How tall is a two story house?”. Besides, other factors contribute to the answer, like regional characteristics that we will mention below.
How Tall Is A Two Story House In The United States?
In the USA, different states have different standard story heights. Therefore, it is still a wonder, “ How tall is a two story house?” In general, the height of a traditional two-story building is about 10 feet, including 1 to 2 feet of infrastructure thickness and the rest of the ceiling height.
However, nowadays, with the development of heating, cooling, and insulation systems, the 8 to 9 feet ceiling is considered old-fashioned. People prefer to use 9 to 10 feet design on the first floor for residential buildings.
So, the minimum height of a two-story house in the USA is 16 feet or 4.9 meters. The standard height is around 18 to 20 feet, and the average height can vary from 20 to 25 feet.
This means that the first floor could be 9 feet and the corresponding could be 10. But it is just a rough estimate as there is no standard in setting each floor’s height. So, about the question “How tall is a two story house?”, the average height of 20 to 25 feet is a proper answer.
How Tall Is A Two Story House In The Uk?
Moving to the house in the UK, we find it different. Unlike the USA or Canada, where the ground floor is considered as the first floor and numbered as “ one”, the UK shares a complete definition.
In the UK and most of Europe, a two-story house usually consists of the ground floor, the first floor, and the second floor, which makes it three floors in total.
Consequently, the height of a two-story house in the Uk differs significantly from the USA’s standard height, so we have another answer to the question: “ How tall is a two story house?”.
However, in terms of a floor’s height, the two areas still share some similarities. Moreover, in both areas, certain factors influence the height of a floor. With these in mind, we can easily figure out that the total height of a two-story house in the UK is around 30 feet.
To sum up, there is no exact answer to the question “ How tall is a two story house?”. However, according to ample generalizations and statistics, we can figure out the average height of a two-story house can vary between 25 to 30 feet depending on various factors.
Therefore, it is worth bearing in mind these numbers and the basic utilities in determining the suitable height of a two-story house in case of writing or discussing.